. . . In a 100-minute debate with Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, Richard Dawkins surprised his online and theater audiences by conceding a personal chink of doubt about his conviction that there is no such thing as a creator.
But, to the amusement of the archbishop and others, the evolutionary biologist swiftly added that he was "6.9 out of seven" certain of his long-standing atheist beliefs . . .
I don't understand why Dawkins is not 100% certain of his atheist beliefs. A certainty of 6.9 out of 7.0 is only about 98.6%, leaving a respectable 1.4% of doubt.
Perhaps Dawkins needs to take some lessons in philosophy, science, and mathematics from a poster at Sense Of Life Objectivists (SOLO) calling himself "Jules Troy," who posted there on 6 March 2012:
I would allow about a 0.00000000000000000000000000% chance that god exists..give or take a few zeros.
Troy is certain of his materialistic philosophy with a precision of 26 decimal points. We would all be very interested to learn with what numbers and assumptions he started his calculation in order to arrive at that astonishingly confident result. Dawkins would be interested, too.